The Flat Classroom® Project
is a global collaborative project that joins together middle and high school students (typically grade 9-12, 14-18 years old).
Co-founded in 2006 by Vicki Davis
(Westwood Schools, USA) and Julie Lindsay
(now in Beijing, China) in 2006
, this project uses Web 2.0 tools to support communication and interaction as well as collaboration and creation between students and teachers from classrooms around the world. The topics studied and discussed are real-world scenarios based on 'The World is Flat
' by Thomas Friedman. The Flat Classroom Project 2006
is featured in the 3rd edition of Friedman's book in Chapter 13, 'If it's not happening it's because you're not doing it', page 501-503.
One of the main goals of the project is to 'flatten' or lower the classroom walls so that instead of each class working isolated and alone, 2 or more classes are joined virtually to become one large classroom. The project is designed to develop cultural understanding, skills with Web 2.0 and other software, experience in global collaboration and online learning, awareness of what it means to live and work in a flat world, while researching and discussing the ideas developed in Friedman's book.
More information about this project can be found in:
Elements of the project for students include:
- A deeper understanding of the effects of technology on our world that leads students to not only study but actually experience the ‘flattener
- An opportunity to be grouped with global partners to explain trends, give personal viewpoints and create a video containing an outsourced video segment from their global partners.
- Access to an educational network, blogging, posting photos, videos etc and a wiki, to plan their topic and build a web page on the topic.
- Being assessed on a common criterion based rubric
- Real-life flavours of deadlines, accountability and interdependence
- Having completed videos reviewed by global judges
- Participating in a virtual student summit, using Elluminate, to complete the project and showcase their learning.
Flat Classroom is a partner of "I am Africa. This is my story..."