Digital Journalism Literacy and Community
To give you a voice. To demonstrate that life has mean and is always worth saving.
Originally in 2010 UNESCO Power of Peace Network provided seed funding to give African youth a platform and training to tell their life story. We develop a simple interview digital storytelling workshop that in a 1/2 day students could tell their life story, record it and publish in the YouTube channel. Based on conversations with addition youth groups we have upgrade this Community Learning System to launch and Journalism digital storytelling portal to train youth about story telling based the UN's 31 human rights.
"I am Africa. This is my story..." Self Expression Testimonies
This original format of digital storytelling is very familiar to any youth with and cell phone. Using only three people: one person asks questions, One records and the third answers questions about their life. The interview is positive and reflective of how far the youth has come, were they hope to go and a chance to say thanks to those who helped along the way.
Our experience in the workshops in Zambia and Lesotho is that these were easy to and highly inspirational to the students. Please read the download guide with this campaign. They filled with important lesson learned to protect the feelings of the youth. Case in point a student can do a recording watch it and delete.
- View previous YouTubes
- Join and setup your personal page and set up a group for you school or NGO
- Download training materials
- Post videos on Youtube and link in site
- Have student view one another Videos and comment on them
"I am the Story..." journalism training
We are the world and struggle for Human Right
This campaign is to launch an easy to build digital story on a human right that a small team of youth feels important to them. Again using only cell phone recording and free media editing software iMovie or MS Movie the team makes a short TV promo on a human right infraction or success story. Sample could be village that used democracy to make decisions or children right to play with football.
Using the website www.youthforhumanrights.org 31 promo video as a teaching tool and reference point. Youth will be trained in foundational tools for digital journalism.
This Campaign is also designed to be a professional services tool for educators and NGO leaders on learning theory and social development. Workshops for educator can be arranged with your school or NGO prior to launching the "I am the story..." journalism workshop.
Note: This program is designed for any country.
To launch this program
- Join, setup you person page, set a group for your workshop
- Review the campaign leader workshop material
- Use a laptop and have study wart a discuss the Youthforhumanrights.org promo videos and decide which human right they want to tell a story about.
- Set you teams an get access to a PC with internet access. You can also use a cell with internet access.
-Train students in either Apple iMovie or MS Moviemaker
- Mentor students during the project, Very important quality time
- Post student promos on YouTube then link into this Ning
- Have students comment on one another projects