are receiving a number of requests from organizations about how to
promote their organization and partner with The UNESCO Power of
Peace Network sponsored digital storytelling contest “I am Africa,
this is my story…” These Q&As will provide information and
links for individual contributors and larger sponsors who are
searching for events that will attract African youth.
This page will also provide you with a series of links and
training materials to help your organization have a successful
event and leverage what this even can do for you and your
Feel free to email mail me directly with ideas, questions or to
talk about special events you may have in mind. firstname.lastname@example.org and
SKYPE at @richardcclose.
We thought it would help everyone to share the responses to the
most asked questions.
We are small with no budget. Can we do
Yes. We designed the social network for free so small
projects, schools, missions and youth groups can have their own
private page with their colors and pictures. You can even set up
your own country groups.
The second big benefit is that this Ning system is tightly
integrated with Google and other search engines. Make sure in the
forms for you pictures, videos and comment you put your
organizations name in the "Tag" box along with "I am Africa.This is
my story..." If you do that the entire world will find you.
Try it: Google search Lusaka High School I am
Africa. Our goal that small groups should have the same
power and reach as large ones. This is how you do it.
How can I train internal staff to build the YouTube
- The best way is by creating a single YouTube story
- Join the contest at http://i-am-the-story.ning.com
- Download the Training “Guides” on this page
- Create a free YouTube account and upload your YouTube
- Place your YouTube video on the community Ning site
Can we use this to raise funds and sponsorships for our
- Yes. Cyber Cafes, universities and schools all benefit with the
contest YouTube videos and will help you with; classroom space and
connection time. Resources can be just like funds.
- Event sponsorships. We have created an event called “CyberYouth
Day” designed to sign up African youth with emails and help them to
create and upload YouTubes. These events are being looked at by
large cell and ICT companies as a way to increase their customer
base and volume of traffic. We will keep you informed on how they
work out. However, we will share with you the materials and work
with your local cell company or ICT on such events. We will share
in these sponsorship funds with the local event organization.
Is there a way to sponsor the entire African
- All groups that help with the promotion, training and marketing
of the campaign will be listed as sponsors on the sponsor
- Financial supporters will be provided banners in the lower
section on the Ning Community
- “CyberYouth Day” financial supporters with receive co branding
signage depending on the size of the local program and budget of
that program. This needs to be worked on with each sponsor.
do we use this program to help our organization?
- When you join the community and set up your page, do the
following in “settings” and “Appearance” sections of the contest
- Place your logo in the image for your face on your personal
- Change the page appearance colors to the same colors as your
home web site and then link the sites together.
- If you have multiple youth videos for your organization you can
form a “group”
- Invite friends and donors to the contest web site. You can
actually invite them right into the group.
- Link your contest YouTubes on your Facebook and YouTube
- Advanced web users and marketers can download the field
marketing guide at:
Is there a good video that can be used as a teacher’s
How can we reward students, teachers, volunteers and
- Just that the student have successfully done video is a big
- Storytellers all receive “I am Africa. This is my story…”
- Helpers and teachers all receive “I am Africa. This is my
story…” CyberGuide Certificates
- Organizations, cyber café’s and schools become “I am Africa.
This is my story…” CyberGuide Training Center.
- All that is required for any of these certificates is a
complete story on YouTube submitted for the contest.
Is there a document of the
original contest for the contest that I can share with our
sponsors of the board?
Can your team coach us with developing our “I am Africa.
This is my story…” storytelling program?
- We can help you with SKPE meetings with your leadership and
- Collaborative bidding on funding for your group (CyberYouth Day
is good for this)
- Online webinars with classes or groups
- Onsite lectures (This requires additional funding)
- Helping you team up with other organizations in your country.
We have a number of partners in Nigeria and Kenya.